fws board secretary
fws Board Secretary
The role of the fws Secretary is to provide efficient administration of the organisation, ensuring compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements and ensuring that decisions of the board are implemented. The company secretary will be the conduit for communication between the directors, members and employees of the company and will also assist the Board with policy creation, management and monitor the company's various compliance systems.
(duties in italics are legislative requirements of the fws secretary)
- organise General Meetings and notify members in advance
- receive nominations for positions on the Board
- take minutes at each Board meeting and circulate to Board members
- take minutes at each General Meeting and circulate to members of the organisation
- ensure that appropriate standing orders are in place
- organise venue and other matters related to Board meetings
- in consultation with the fws Chair, prepare agenda in advance of each Board meeting
- organise meeting papers for distribution before meetings
- serve on the Executive Committee between Board meetings
- ensure (in partnership with the Board) the regular review and development of fws Marketing Plan
- serve on Board committees as required
- maintain a register of members
- handle the procedures for the admission of new members
- handle the procedures for the resignation of members
- handle the procedures for the discipline, suspension and expulsion of members
- keep on basecamp records of all documents and securities, and make them available to members as requested
- personally carry out administrative duties as assigned by the fws Chair
- promote the organisation in the community as opportunities arise
- serve [as nominated by the Board] in negotiation with other organisations
- keep the Common Seal of the organisation
Other relevant board requirements that the fws secretary must adhere to:
- Avoid making any improper use of their position in the organisation so as to gain any material advantage for themselves, or for any other person, or to the detriment of the organisation.
- Avoid making any improper use of any information acquired by virtue of their position in the organisation so as to gain any material advantage for themselves, or for any other person, or to the detriment of the organisation.
- If they have any direct or indirect material personal interest in any contract with the organisation, inform the fws Board immediately.
- If they have any direct or indirect material personal interest in any contract with the organisation, not vote in the fws Board on that issue.
- If they have any non-material personal conflict of interest in any matter before the fws Board, or believe that the perception of such a conflict might arise, inform the Board immediately and follow the Board’s rulings as to proper procedure.
- At all times, conduct fws Board business politely and with consideration for others, without ill feeling, improper bias, or personal animus.
Key performance indicators
- accurate and comprehensive minutes of meetings
- accurate and timely minutes of meetings to be added to basecamp
- organised record keeping of fws’s governing documents, instruments and structures maintained on basecamp and on the fws website.
fws Board members
fws management team
Kesho Leo (KL) management team
4-5 hours per week (meetings held once a month at 7.30pm midweek)
12 months minimum – lots more months hopefully
From the comfort of your own home – with attendance at quarterly face to face meetings required
Skills & Requirements
- ability to maintain strong email communications with board members
- good ability to use basecamp and conduct website updates preferable
- well developed communication, interpersonal and negotiation skills
- strong organisational and administrative skills
- support the broader fws vision by offering input where relevant
- understand and adhere to the values of fws, as outlined on the fws website
- desire to make a difference while contributing to a fun but dedicated group of volunteers