kesho enviro systems
Like our farms and gardens, fws's permaculture pages are always growing. So make sure you come back for regular updates - including our fws fast fact sheets, more coming soon!
we’re proud of our permaculture systems...
And why not? Our superb systems:
- Will grow to eventually provide much of our food, water, shelter and energy needs, for up to 100 residents.
- Use locally appropriate technology.
- Provide education opportunities for the youngest children right through to the oldest community members.
- Are quickly becoming a feature of the community that all our Tanzanian neighbours can be proud of.
- Have all been developed to meet fws's environmental policy.
fws's permaculture paradise
Each system, and in fact the whole Kesho Leo project, is designed under the concepts of permaculture.
It’s nothing fancy – just holistic sustainable design, where we aim for every system or structure to interact positively with another one (or two, or three!)
All of our permaculture systems are based around five locations, which interact and work together to meet our needs:
1. Kesho Leo building
- Designed to meet the needs of the local environment.
- Incorporates passive solar design.
- Collects and stores all of our domestic water obtained from rainwater harvesting.
- Uses biogas produced from our farm and sustainably produced firewood for all our cooking.
- Creates the grey water and toilet ‘waste’ that we use as a resource to produce food.
Find out more about Kesho Leo's eco-tecture >>
2. Our waste utilisation farm garden
- Designed to effectively utilise toilet and laundry ‘waste’ and manage water through the dry season.
- Using interlinked systems of fodder producing swales, food forests and banana circles, we safely use all of our grey water and ‘humanure’ (composted toilet waste) to grow usable resources.
Find out more about our waste utilisation farm garden >>
3. Our 'show' farm
Our 'show' farm produces many of the living needs of our residents in a sustainably intensive system. Designed, constructed and operates in a manner that our neighbours can come and learn from.
Find out more about our 'show' farm >>
4. Our commercial organic farm
- Is producing organically grown products in a fashion that provides commercial organic solutions for medium-sized Tanzanian farms.
- Our farm integrates key permaculture concepts that offer alternatives to low income annual production by integrating perennial vegetables and tree production into higher priced market annual vegetables. We run all of this using locally appropriate and locally replicable techniques, that we are proud to say are slowly being spread and observed by our talented farming neighbors.
Find out more about our commercial organic farm >>
5. Our volunteer village
We practice what we preach, so our volunteer village has been developed with the same locally appropriate permaculture solutions.
Find out more about our volunteer village >>
education that doesn't cost the earth
With everything we do, we consider the educational benefits to our residents and the local community. Find out more about permaculture education at Kesho Leo >>
eco-friendly fact sharing
Learn all about Kesho Leo’s individual permaculture components, by checking out fws's fabulous fast facts on your topic of choice.
care to contribute to our permaculture paradise?
Check out our shopping list of eco-friendly items required at Kesho Leo.